Apple Calls With Details On Final Cut Pro X 10.0.1 Update: XML, XSAN, Video and Audio Stem Exports Via Roles, and More

I just had a great phone call with some of the Final Cut Pro X team at Apple, including Richard Townhill, director of pro video marketing at Apple, and I’m excited about the FCP X 10.0.1 update, now available for download via the Mac App Store, along with updates for Motion 5 (5.0.1 — includes dual display support and more) and Compressor 4.0.1. They are listening to us, and they care about the professional editor. This is a professional NLE app, and for me so far, it’s made my life a lot easier with organization and editing.

Some of the items in the FCP X update:

1. Xsan Support: You can store your footage AND your Events and Project files on a server (Lion does this very well), so multiple users can edit the same projects. Excellent for collaborative editing! Apple tells me this works better than Final Cut Pro 7 project files on an XSAN server.

2. XML Support: This is a big one, and it sounds great. Apple has broken up the XML export into two pieces, if you will, so you can export both Events and Projects. The metadata is more robust and comprehensive. Apple didn’t just add XML support, they made it better. You can use this to export to third-party apps, such as CatDV, and you can import an XML file from FCP X into DaVinci Resolve for color correcting and finishing. I understand that you can export a FCP 7 XML file, import it into CatDV and it will give you an XML file for FCP X, but remember, v. 10 features a sophisticated timeline, so there is no guarantee everything will be in the right spot.

3. Export audio and video stems via Roles: Much easier, more powerful and better than in FCP 7, you can use Roles to easily export audio and video stems as a single QuickTime movie, or as separate files. It’s no longer repetitive, no longer time-consuming to export certain audio and video files, etc., it’s one-pass, you choose what you want to export. Once again, Apple didn’t just add this support, they made it better and easier. I expect no less from them. You can then import these files or a multitrack QuickTime movie into third-party programs.

4. Camera input API: Camera manufacturers can now update their plug-in for FCP X when they put out a new camera. I remember waiting months or years for certain new codec support within FCP, so I could work with Sony HDV or Panasonic P2 files, etc. This is very cool!

5. GPU-accelerated export for faster exports of your projects.

6. Some other cool additions: Custom start timecode, fullscreen mode, one-step addition of transitions to connected clips (a BIG time saver), and a fully functional 30-day trial.

Apple went on the record, something they don’t ever do (or at least not too often), by promising multicamera and broadcast monitoring support next year (2012 — btw, I mentioned this back in July). Apple also reassured me that they care about the professional editors, and they are listening. Everything that’s part of this update is from listening to feedback. I want to say it again, Apple CARES about us, and that’s great!

They also published a white paper, “Final Cut Pro X for Final Cut Pro X Editors,” which I’ll link to in a bit.

Update: Jon Chappell from Digital Rebellion posts some info on the new FCPX XML feature. Definitely worth a read.

Second Update: The great Larry Jordan has a significant rundown of all the new features on his blog.

• Trackback are closed
  • Comments (8)
    • Robert Rogoz
    • September 20th, 2011 3:03pm

I am still waiting to be able to get files from Canon XF series. Till then I am not interested.

• hmcknight
      • September 20th, 2011 4:37pm

Canon should have the camera API, so they can release a plug-in with XF support when they’re ready.

heath

• James Hill
    • September 20th, 2011 4:55pm

FCP is history as far as I’m concerned. Apple might claim they care now, but only after the stink created by the release of FCP-X.

Multicam next year? Really? Just astonishing! Tells you all you need to know about this joke of a package.

I now have Premiere installed and am learning the ropes in that. It is more FCP8 than X will ever be.

• hmcknight
      • September 20th, 2011 5:03pm

Have you tried FCPX? It’s really a remarkable program, but it does take some time to adjust. I think this is where non-linear editing is headed, with better organization and easier editing. It’s cut my time down already, and I consider myself a quick editor.

• James Hill
    • September 21st, 2011 12:53am

Yes I have tried it. I also tried Premiere. If FCP-X is a Prius then Premiere is a Ferrari. The Prius may claim to be the future but I know which of the two I’d rather have.

X is unfit for purpose and it’s clearly aimed at kids out of film school with a DSLR. Those of us who have to make money need Premiere.

• jason
      • September 21st, 2011 2:23am

Haven’t moved to fcpx yet, and likely won’t for a while, but:

As an editor who “has to make money” i aknowledge that the “kids out of film school with a dslr” are who the industry are wanting to give their money to more and more. I expect that once the Prius has a few extra improvements, I’ll be getting one without ever even considering a ferrari.

• hmcknight
      • September 21st, 2011 10:51am

I am actively making money off FCP X and FCP 7. I think FCP X is a great new NLE and a great way of thinking. I know a lot of people who have spent more time on it than I, and they are getting more and more into it.

1. What a complete screw-up. This is the same arrogance Netflix had. Listening? After completely ignoring the professional market. I tried 10 a few times… fun. Too bad it still doesn’t talk to the world as an editing software should. Oh, I should wait till 2012 and beyond for them to come through? Okay. I’ll stop working. Sorry. I have a job and need to make money. Can’t do that with FCP10. But it’s one hell of a home editing system for making wedding videos and family birthdays.

Comment are closed.